Thursday, July 15, 2010

Clarification on councillors term limit.

I notice that my suggestion in the state assembly to impose term limit in the appointment of councillors in local councils has drawn some attention from the media.
I wish to notify that though the media has highlighted the suggestion, such suggestion is not the only suggestion I made during my speech when I debated the supplementary budget on 14th July 2010 in the Selangor State Legislative Assembly.
I also proposed that such selection of councillors from the executive to be scrutinized by the State Legislative Assembly Select Committee on Local Councils.
I wish to clarify that though I mentioned that reason why I propose a term limit is to allow more chances for others to serve as councillors as some of them have been holding onto the position since 2008 and it is good if there can be a change. I am sure there must be a lot of suitable candidates from each political parties and even the NGOs.
Some has openly lamented that my reason has "sacrificed public interest over 'shiok sendiri' for party members."
When I mention that by having term limit, there can be more chances for the grassroot to serve the public, I do not limit myself to party grassroot members but also grassroot leaders of the communities and NGOs.
I still stand firm with my stands that nobody should think that councillorship is his/her personal property. Councillors are appointed by the State Government. Since there is no election, then the appointment of councillors is a highly subjective matter. Term limit is proposed with the good intention to allow more newcomers. Under my observation, some senior councillors are becoming "addicted" to their position to the extend when the state government want to have a change, intense lobbying happen in order to secure the position.
A good councillor will and should be able to make good changes during his/her tenure as councillors and if he/she is good enough, he/she could be transfered to other councils to help other councils. Or he/she could stop being a councillor and offers himself/herself to be reappointed come the next term.
Also, a good councillor is not to be self-proclaimed but to be accessed by the voters. In our case, it is sad to say that the voters cannot decide yet.
Let's work together towards the direction that you, as voter, together with many others can decide.

No comments: