Monday, December 17, 2007

Speak up against ISA!

请点击上面的“谷歌广告”以示对此博客的支持。谢谢!
Please click "Google Ad" on top to support this blog. Thank you!


Dear All Muslim, Buddhist, Hindus, Christian, Sikhs, Taoist, Confucians brothers and sisters,

I am sure that you all must be aware about what happened to some of the Hindraf leaders who were arrested under the ISA. And of course, one of the detainees is V. Ganabatirau.

My colleague, Tony Pua, has a posting on him and his arrest here. I have also written about him here.

I do not intend to say more here but I wish to alert you about a petition that is going on about the ISA detention.

By the way, I have received an email from CKM who is a Christian which mentioned:

“Whilst as Christians we should respect the laws of the country, it is our duty to speak out on unjust laws. The arrest under ISA is totally uncalled for and unjust even under Islamic laws. A caring government will inquire about the "ethnic cleansing" allegation by HINDRAF and listen to the issues raised by them. As Christians, we should be colour blind and be compassionate.”

Before, you erase this email, I wish to remind you of a letter written by Martin Niemoller before the 2nd World War in Nazi Germany which is reproduced below.


Martin Niemoller:
When the Nazis came for the communists, I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats, I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists, I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews, I remained silent;
I was not a Jew.

When they came for me, there was no one left to speak out.

I hope, there is someone there to defend us
when they came for us, Christians.

We can all choose to keep quiet or stand up and be counted. I have signed an online petition to protest on the ISA arrests (No 18340). Do not be afraid, this online petition is located outside the country and run independently which the police have no access. You can put any name or email address you fancy.

If you believe it is the right thing to do, please mass email to your circle of friends. Go to here and sign.

God bless

CKM
CKM and I have joined the petition and have become the 14380th signaturies. Besides what was quoted by CKM, I think it is also good for me to share this famous song in the mid-eighties by Michael Jackson, We Are The World with you:

There comes a time
When we head a certain call
When the world must come together as one
There are people dying
And it's time to lend a hand to life
The greatest gift of all

We can't go on
Pretending day by day
That someone, somewhere will soon make a change
We are all a part of
God's great big family
And the truth, you know love is all we need

[Chorus]
We are the world
We are the children
We are the
ones who make a brighter day
So let's start giving
There's a choice we're making
We're saving our own lives
It's true we'll make a better day
Just you and me…..
The lyrics, especially the first part which I have bolded and italic-ed in red, tells us that it is time for us to stand visible and counted for against injustices, that this is a call beyond the barrier of religion, that which ever religion we believe in and embrace, it will be a sin for us not to stand up against any injustices.

God Bless You,
May Peace Be Upon You,
Nandri Vanakum
愿主保佑你,
诸恶莫作、诸善奉行
السلام عليكم
Assalamu 'Alaikum
Shalom aleichem
שלום עליכם

No comments: