Saturday, September 15, 2007

Seriously thinking of biking instead of driving

I have been driving a Proton Wira since September 2006. I was a motorcyclist before I bought this car. My Honda EX5 is still with me.

The rising petrol price has always been a burden to me. I was a motorcyclist even before I joined the DAP. My monthly petrol charge then was about RM20. even after I joined the party as members in 2004 (that makes me travel more than before) and even after I joined the party hq in june 2005 (that makes me travel more and more than before), and even after the 30 sen per litre price hike in March 2006, my monthly petrol charge seldom exceed RM50.

But with this car, my monthly petrol charge increased to nearly RM300 per month. Although I can refund my petrol claims, but I still have to bear a big bulk of the monthly petrol charge. I don’t think changing to a more fuel efficient car like Perodua Myvi, Kelisa or Kancil will help.

I am seriously thinking of taking my motorcycle. The second reason for me to consider doing so is because of the times I spent on the road. I can reach any place in KL city centre from PJ in about 10 to 15 minutes even during peak hour but I will never be able to do that if I drive a car. Those who are close to me will find that I have not been that punctual before since I starts driving. My productivity has dropped when I start driving.

I am spending more money on fuel, parking, toll, car wash, maintenance, services, traffic summon etc in return for lower efficiency, lower productivity, more commitment to be the driver for others with poorer time management.

I am seriously thinking of biking instead of driving.

No comments: