Monday, November 21, 2005

Who can tell me the email addresses of Hishammuddin Tun Hussein Onn and Abdullah Zin?

For the past few days, I have been searching for the email addresses of both Education Minister Dato’ Hishammuddin and Minister in the PM Department, Dato’ Abdullah Zin, which bears no fruitful results. I had once contacted the assistant of Abdullah and is promised a return call which is not returned to date. As for Education Ministry, I have been contacting the ministry but I am still no where to reach his PA or secretaries for the answer.

Such phenomenon is totally unthinkable in information era. Do our Ministers really IT-savvy? Why do they have to hide away their email addresses? The PM had called for a people-oriented and clean government, but are we any nearer to his pledge when some Ministers tend to hide their email address from public domain?

The Parliamentary Opposition Leader YB Lim Kit Siang had on 8th November emailed all Cabinet Ministers on the Higher Education crisis that this country is facing. In order to confirm that each and every Minister have received the email, I had first emailed all Cabinet Ministers also on 13th November. In the email, I have requested the Minister to confirm receipt the previous emails sent by YB Lim Kit Siang.

A few of the emails were then bounced back due to errors and over quota. These included emails addresses of the Second Finance Minister Nor Mohd Yakcop (
mk2@treasury.gov.my), Minister of Rural and Regional Development, Dato’ Aziz Samsuddin (aziz@rurallink.gov.my), Minister of Domestic Trade and Consumers Affairs Dato’ Shafie Apdal (shafieapdal@kpdnhep.gov.my) and Minister of Higher Education, Dato’ Shafie Salleh (shafie@mohe.gov.my).

As such, I had on 19th November 2005 emailed these for the second time which to my dismay were bounced back again by email account of Nor Mohd Yakcop and Shafie Apdal. As for Aziz Samsuddin, my emails finally reaches his inbox when he has replied my email yesterday, probably because he was bombarded by YB Lim Kit Siang in the Parliament last week related to this issue.

Utilization of email address is certainly something should be put on higher scrutiny by the Prime Minister himself. It is for sure that there are certain Ministers who are not so keen in utilizing their own email address, which can be witnessed by “errors and over-quota” if Ministers seldom check and read emails sent to their inboxes.

While continue to check whether the email addresses of Nor Mohd Yakcop and Shafie Apdal are functional or not, I will, as for Dato’ Hishammuddin and Dato’ Abdullah Zin’s email addresses, continue to follow up today and if there is no answer from their assistants or secretaries, I will consider to lodge an official complaint with the authority.

Lau Weng San

No comments: